Welcome

Live steam model on 7¼" gauge of the Württembergische T3 no 924

Welcome to this blog. It will inform you about the progress of designing and building miniature live steam, coal fired locomotives for passenger hauling. Currently I'm working on a 7¼" gauge, scale 1:8, German T3 steam locomotive.

In 2006 I started this new project. This is a small 0-6-0 branch line locomotive of German (Königlich Württembergischen Staatseisenbahnen) origin with outside cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. The loco is about 1.10 metre long and will weigh approx. 100 kg.

On the left you'll find the index where you can browse through the different articles and on the right you'll find all the extra's. On the top tabs you'll find a brief description of my other locos.

Enjoy this site. Erik-Jan Stroetinga. The Netherlands. Europe.

Monday, 21 December 2015

Some small parts


Last year no big parts were made; there was not much time left for model engineering and the time that was available was used for making a lot of small parts and fittings


These are the cylinder drain cocks. No conical shaped plugs are used for this loco; I think that a good parallel fit will do. (On my other loco's I've used conical plugs; they tend to stick a lot, or leak)


They are machined from 8mm brass hexagon rod. (see this movie)


A non-return valve for the injector


The injector is a standard bought item. 



Seen in previous instalments: this is the steam turret with a set of valves


Water connections between the tanks are now assembled


The cover plate between the tanks and smoke box.


A very simple bending jig for making the coal rail



A small coal rail for the front windows, made of 1.6 mm stainless steel wire and silver soldered to a frame


Boiler lagging and dome and sand dome cover are still to be made


The water tank lids are getting their final shape and hinges.


Tiny grips for opening the side tank doors


They have to be turned to open the doors



The steps for entering the cab and the tool box under the cab




The lamps are also in production.  A warm LED and a small 232 CR battery do the trick.


A lot of work to make six lamps, but with the aid of bending jigs, CNC milling and home made deep drawing tools, the lamps are coming along.



Still not finished (I have to design and make the lock mechanism for the door), but already in working order.


Lamp irons are on real German locos hefty cast iron blocks. I used the shaping machine to make them out of solid steel. 




Dismantling the locomotive so I can make and assemble the last parts on the chassis.


The storage box with all the small parts, made in the last half year.



Frame being dismantled, for drilling holes for guard irons, brakes, drain cock leverage etc. 



The driving wagon and a wagon for tools and beer, were drawn in Solidworks. Material for these two wagons has been ordered.